Monday, March 12, 2012

Helping You With Your Brackets

Everyone loves to be able to tell their friends, "I told you so!" Especially when money and bragging rights are on the line. By no means do I consider myself an expert when it comes to selecting the right National Champion come March Madness time but over the years I have picked my share of winners. My luck started in 1997 when I first fell in love with March Madness at the age of 10, I don't know why or how but I rode Arizona to glory that year as they knocked off Kentucky making me feel proud. Two years later and I selected a UConn led by Rip Hamilton. I feel like that's when I first developed my hatred for Duke only because they knocked off like three of my picks down the stretch. Going on a three year dry spell, I had faith in Maryland to get it done and they did. '05 and '09 UNC made me look like a genius but then again they were slam dunks those years and lastly I chose an unbelievably UConn team again to win it after winning five games in five days to claim the Big East tourney.

So that being allow me to give you some pointers to help your bracket along:

Upsets happen early, not so much later.
Everyone knows that 12 seed will undoubtedly take out 5 seed or that 13 will knockoff a 4. That's fine and dandy, don't be afraid to pick two or three. However, use caution about riding them any further than a game or two. With the exception of Butler and VCU the past two years, these underdogs tend to flame out by the second weekend.

Don't let conventional wisdom scare you.
Last year everyone was telling you UConn wouldn't have the legs to make it past the first weekend of the tournament after winning five games in five nights leading up to the Big Dance. Well guess what, UConn and their "dead legs" continued their hot streak through the tournament and cut down the nets when it was all said and done. If you don't know, Louisville just put together a similar streak in the same conference tournament.

Trendy picks tend to bust.
Everyone loves being the first one to try and start the new trend. Well don't because like most trends, they come back to bite you in the butt. No, this isn't the year that the 16's start to pick off the 1's. And no this isn't the year a double digit seed wins it all. If you're thinking these things, it might be time to cut your skinny jeans off.

Don't select all the 1 seeds.
It is inevitable that a one 1 seed will slip up in the tournament and not make the Final Four. But did you know that in 27 years only four times have three or more 1 seeds advanced to the Final Four. Say good bye to two or more by the Final Four.

Duke wins... sometimes.
Duke has won their fair share of titles throughout the years but while they don't always claim a National Championship, they do make it to see the second weekend. 20 out of 25 times Coach K's teams have gotten past the first two rounds.

Never tip your hand.
If your friends ask for your picks or advice, give them the wrong advice. Why would you want to share your money making picks with the rest of your pool? Keep your picks to yourself, unless of you don't like winning money.

Beware the "luck of the Irish."
Notre Dame fans may want to turn away or skip over this, but the truth is the Irish are notorious for flaming out early in the NCAAs. Notre Dame has only seen the Sweet Sixteen once over the last ten years. This year wouldn't appear to be the year this streak changes.

Trust your gut.
You know your first instinct is right so why fight it? Don't let your buddies or the talking heads on TV influence you from your original pick. Also, don't pick based off of colors or mascots. Listen to your gut!

Never pick based on your location.
Most people who get into these things pick based on location because they know they have a good team but they don't know the rest of the field. Don't be afraid to go away from schools in your area(i.e. Michigan State and Michigan for me).

Hope these tips helped aid you in winning some extra money and bragging rights, I know I'll be celebrating when I see that VCU v Michigan final!

No comments: